Madison Square
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly recommendation.

+12
plug_tits
vapacersfan
Trader Joe
balloon's Mom
The Toxic Avenger
balloon
cdash
Pig Nash
N8R
heywoode
sig
Los Angeles
16 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

A friendly recommendation. - Page 8 Empty Re: A friendly recommendation.

Post by balloon Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:10 pm

My top three:

1) existing
2) existemology
3) pursuance

. . . all dot com
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Los Angeles Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Balloon, existing.com and pursuance,com are both taken, Existemology is available. Can you name two others to round out your top three?
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Back to top Go down

Post by Trader Joe Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:19 pm

I like TheLatestExperience off your list by far the best. I'd be 100% aok going with that.
Trader Joe
Trader Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Trader Joe Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:21 pm

1.) TheLatestExperience [dot] com
2.) Pursueyourexperience [dot] com (I just came up with this one, but I like it)
3.) Experiencelife [dot] com
Trader Joe
Trader Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Los Angeles Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:22 pm

WAIT - I'm changing my list to include this:

InFullPursuit - dot - com

So my new top three is:

InFullPursuit
TheExperienceExperience
TheSolidLife

Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Back to top Go down

Post by Los Angeles Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:23 pm

TJ, ExperienceLife is taken. I like your other two, including the new one.
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:24 pm

InFullPursuit is my choice. Very nice, LA.

If I need another, I'll say "creatingessence".
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Los Angeles Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:25 pm

I think I'm in love with InFullPursuit at this point. It combines the best of all of them, it's a reasonably common phrase and not prone to misspellings, And it has the energy I think we're going for.
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:31 pm

I really like InFullPursuit.

It not only captures the message, but does so with a feeling (or an energy, as you say). There is an awareness, and an uncompromising desire to pursue something. The word "in" is also important, me thinks. We are constantly "in" this pursuit - everything performed with this intentionality.
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Trader Joe Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:58 pm

I could go with InFullPursuit, I'll swap that in as number 3 on my list.

1.) TheLatestExperience [dot] com
2.) Pursueyourexperience [dot] com (I just came up with this one, but I like it)
3.) InFullPuruit [dot] com

I'd be happy with any of those 3.
Trader Joe
Trader Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by sig Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:05 pm

I love infullpursuit. Who came up with that?

Honestly I think that's our winner. Awesome.

sig

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Yep, lock it up!

balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by vapacersfan Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:34 pm

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have not read through the whole thread

With that said, I love InFullPursuit

Being on an elevator when somebody Shouts "Hold the door!" No! Schadenfreude" Fuck you lady! Thats what stairs are for!

vapacersfan

Back to top Go down

Post by N8R Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:11 pm

I like infullpursuit.
N8R
N8R
Kimmy Gibbler

https://madisonsquare.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Nash Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:56 pm

InFullPursuit is really cool.
Pig Nash
Pig Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Los Angeles Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:41 am

Looks like we have a name.

Now - who and what do we go with for forum hosting/software. I think CGG's offer is incredibly generous, but I wonder if this is something that we should go outside "the family" to get. I really think it would be great to be able to pay a service and if something goes wrong, be able to hold them accountable without hesitation (or politics) and switch to another service if something messes up. Certain sectors business world call this "Vendor accountability". Basically, it means if something goes wrong, we get mad at a faceless someone instead of getting mad at each other. Thoughts on this?

On the subject of software, let's get some answers to some basic questions:

1) What is the best looking, best functioning forum and/or social network you have ever used? please list them so we can find out what software, etc is running things behind the scenes.

2) What features are most important to you? Personal Blogging? Like feature? Ability to log in using Facebook and/or twitter credentials? (this is a great way to gain new members, btw).

3) and this is a doozy - what is your opinion regarding monetization? Are you opposed to any form of financial revenue being generated by the site (this is likely to be a trade-off, Free forums are often laden with ads, Expensive forums are feature rich but difficult to justify without some form of monetization.)

Any other ideas/thought/concerns?
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Back to top Go down

Post by Los Angeles Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:54 am

And by the way, can you explain again who the host is for this site? Do they have a pay service that allows us to rename this forum and make it unnecessary to use the "youneed.us" part of the name?

Would be great to have nothing but "InFullPursuit - dot - com" in the bar up there. It also makes us about 1000 times easier to find.

I like how this thing runs and I even like the skin. We would just need a little bit of topic reorganization and we're well on the way ...
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Nash Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:56 am

1.) I really like PD's look. It's really clean and everything is well defined and easy to figure out who is saying what. I'm sure there are other good ones, but I'd be hard pressed to find a better one.

2.) Thanking I think is good, I think being able to log in with google or facebook or twitter would be great and I'd be all for that as long as people can still just log in to us. I don't think the blogging would be something we needed to do. I think community is the big thing here. We're not branching off from some webcomic or blog or news site, we don't need personal blog pages.

3.) I don't know how we could monetize it. I wouldn't want people to have to donate or pay to get in. I don't think there is a good way to advertise on a forum. I've seen stupid sites where there are ads in between posts kind of disguised as posts, or even posters who were paying just to advertise a product. I wouldn't want that, or pop ups/unders or anything annoying like that. Google/Project Wonderful ads are less intrusive but I don't think we would generate enough traffic to really see any monetary benefit.

I wouldn't be opposed to it if it miraculously happened though.
Pig Nash
Pig Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by CGG Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:45 am

Well you can hold my service provider responsible, because I certainly will. They have really good support though. I can probably add administrative contracts for that domain as well. I don't care either way if you use it, but its certainly available. You'll have full console access to the account for the domain, and be able to use any migration tools that are available for your software if it has to be moved.

CGG

Back to top Go down

Post by Los Angeles Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:58 am

CGG wrote:Well you can hold my service provider responsible, because I certainly will. They have really good support though. I can probably add administrative contracts for that domain as well. I don't care either way if you use it, but its certainly available. You'll have full console access to the account for the domain, and be able to use any migration tools that are available for your software if it has to be moved.

OH - that changes things in my mind quite a bit! - I thought you WERE the provider - kind of like Able's relationship with PD, which while generous has been sometime fraught with peril both for the forum (losing months of posts at a time, etc) and for the political climate within the board itself. I'm trying to avoid that kind of thing.
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Back to top Go down

Post by CGG Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:09 am

I don't even setup the backups. They have an internal backup run to a second hard drive, and an online backup run across the data center to whatever their big backup servers are. Then I BELIEVE, but am not 100% sure, that they replicate it to their other data centers. Its supposed to be as managed as possible while still giving me the control of the server that I need. If a service fails, I get an email. If I call support, I've never been put on hold before talking to a tech, and I've never had it ring more than 3 times.

Why not point the domain to my server after its registered, and we can play around with a test board and see how everyone likes it? You can change the dns settings to another host at any time.

I took my ambien 38 minutes ago so this is the last line and I don't guarantee this post made much sense. Sleep

CGG

Back to top Go down

Post by Los Angeles Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:12 am

Sent you a PM - we can discuss further tomorrow - nighty night!
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Back to top Go down

Post by Los Angeles Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:03 am

I've just purchased "InFullPursuit.com" and I decided to add "InFullPursuit.net" for good measure. Now we need to get serious about our software/hosting options.

Can you feel it? [said Santa]
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Los Angeles wrote:1) What is the best looking, best functioning forum and/or social network you have ever used? please list them so we can find out what software, etc is running things behind the scenes.
I've only ever been a part of the PD community, and one other forum with terrible software. I would say that PD is the best looking, but I'd also go so far as to say that this phpBB3 software seems to be better in terms of functioning. It just seems "lighter-weight" and a bit quicker.

LA wrote:2) What features are most important to you? Personal Blogging? Like feature? Ability to log in using Facebook and/or twitter credentials? (this is a great way to gain new members, btw).
I found the thanks button to come in handy. They have the option with this software, but it is built into some larger "reputation" mod that would have also meant everyone could provide one another with negative feedback. Which, in my opinion, is not really conducive to the sort of environment we want to create. If there is a way to tinker around that, it'd be great. But I sure as hell am not computer-savvy enough to do such a thing.

The ties with popular social networking sites is definitely a nice way to get the word out. I like that idea . . . and I think my friends on facebook would also "like" it (to the point where they'd venture on over).

Speaking for Kester here, I know he enjoyed the "iSpy" function on PD.

I think any software that has a community built around creating innovative 'mods' is a good one to look into. It seemed as though vbulletin had a bunch of committed folks who were constantly looking to tweak their forums and developing ways to do it.

As opposed to thinking in terms of blogging, just having the ability to tweet or facebook a new thread that you began on an interesting topic - maybe that is enough?

I'm not sure if these sorts of things are standard with any forum software, but having the ability to post pictures, gifs, embed HTML, etc. - are all fun for the user.

A thought that is coming to my head right now that relates to social networking and the community we're building. What about having the ability to create your own user page? Perhaps each user has their own profile page, that can in some ways becomes like a facebook page or myspace page? The user has some freedom to play around with it, make of it what they want . . .

LA wrote:3) and this is a doozy - what is your opinion regarding monetization? Are you opposed to any form of financial revenue being generated by the site (this is likely to be a trade-off, Free forums are often laden with ads, Expensive forums are feature rich but difficult to justify without some form of monetization.)
It's good to pose this question at the start of things, so kudos.

I'm not for it, but then again I'm not the one footing the bill for the entire forum Very Happy I wouldn't blame anyone if they decided to go ahead with it, in the end. But if that were the case, I would hope that it is done unobtrusively and tactfully (if such such things are even possible with advertising?).

Why am I not particularly "for" it? Might it take away from my - the user's - "experience" or "existence" as a part of a community that concerns itself with such things?!

Last edited by balloon on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Trader Joe Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:58 pm

Honestly, I think we need to figure out how the board is to be structured from a mods/admins standpoint as well. I know everyone's kind of skittish about this because we don't want to create a "I'M BETTER THAN YOU!" atmosphere, but it is something that will need to be addressed.

Software, I'm fine with PD, I've used some other services and PD is probably the best. I've used the vbulletin admin panel before and it's pretty easy from what I remember.

RE: Money....

I dunno...I've never worked to make money on any of these forums before, but it's up to everyone else. I'm more than happy to pitch in a few bucks if that's what's required.

Last edited by Trader Joe on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trader Joe
Trader Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum