Madison Square
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly recommendation.

+12
plug_tits
vapacersfan
Trader Joe
balloon's Mom
The Toxic Avenger
balloon
cdash
Pig Nash
N8R
heywoode
sig
Los Angeles
16 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

A friendly recommendation. - Page 2 Empty Re: A friendly recommendation.

Post by balloon Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:45 pm

I've been thinking about ideas.

A lot of us are into food...and most of us are guys (Ms. Piggy - you're like one of the guys if that is any consolation!). Thoughts on centering the forum around "Men & Food/Cooking?" - talk about everything from beers, to BBQ tips/recipes, vegetarian stuff, etc.

What do people think? There are a lot of guys out there who enjoy cooking (or at the least, EATING).......I think guys tend to bring a little bit of a different perspective to the table when it comes to cooking/baking/tastes/habits................
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:24 pm

The Man-Chef?
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Trader Joe Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:54 pm

I love food. In both appropriate and inappropriate ways.
Trader Joe
Trader Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by N8R Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:24 pm

Me eat food.
N8R
N8R
Kimmy Gibbler

https://madisonsquare.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vapacersfan Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:57 pm

I actually agree with L.A. Right now this place reminds me a little bit of offtopic.net (or whatever that site is), but there is nothing wrong with that.

I honestly am way out of the loop with what happened, as I really have cut back my posting and I was not a frequent visitor of TCT.

With that said my opinions of how things have been run are pretty much well known by all, so I do not really have to say anything in respect to that. I think there is always room for imporvement, but I also think sometimes change can be bad.

With that said I still check in to PD because of quite a few of the people who post in other forums (I honestly have not followed basketball closely in quite some time, though I am hoping with a new job and more free time I will start) so I will pop in from time to time.

Cheers,

-VA

vapacersfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Toxic Avenger Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks for the input VA. We do appreciate it.

As for bloon's suggestion of "Food" I wouldn't mind but that would bring in other people... I realize thats the point of this discussion but I wonder if they will get along with us what with Counting and cursing and the like.

Food is always a good thing.
The Toxic Avenger
The Toxic Avenger

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi VA!

TA - counting and cursing are two things men do. On top of cooking / eating.
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:46 pm

By the way, if we want to do the man-cooking/food theme...any suggestions for a name?
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by The Toxic Avenger Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Ah, I must have missed the part about it being a Man+Food production.

Thats my bad.

Actually Man-Food Productions isn't a bad working title...

But we can think it over and get some feedback before anything changes. I'd like the board to be established first. Let all those from PD that want to come here come and post and get re-acquainted.

THEN after that we can think about this kind of thing.
The Toxic Avenger
The Toxic Avenger

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:18 pm

Man-Food is good. Man-Eater another possible choice? Maybe we could have everyone submit a name or two and then vote on what people liked best?

Yeah, the formal transition shouldn't take place until a while longer, I'd say. That is assuming we all would be cool with the man+food theme (even if you aren't, it's not like all the off-topic stuff will go missing . . .).

I suppose we don't even need to change the name of the forum, for that matter. We could keep it as Madison Square - although there are obvious reasons for changing it to something more descriptive. But it would also require a quick URL change which doesn't look like it'd be an issue - but obviously we'd want to make sure everyone here knew about the switch!
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Los Angeles Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:19 pm

I LIKE WHAT I'M HEARING.

Now, let's go the distance and expand it *just* a tad: I'm talking Lifestyle. Food, Travel, Literature, Beer and Libations, Fine Objects (from computers to pepper mills and everything in between), Dating, Sex, Music, Cars. The Theme is: the finer things in life. It is neither restrictive or infinite, the emphasis is on sharing and camaraderie - but the purpose is now oddly focused. The mission is to encourage great, positive, fulfilling and joyful living.

I would love a site that attends to these topics with the civility that PD was known for. (They are my favorite topics after all).

I'm thinking a name for a site like that would be akin to the top men's magazines: Playboy, Penthouse, Details, FHM, Stuff, The Good Life.

The look? I'm thinking burled wood, leather and stainless steel. The encouragement to join? Good topics, good people and discovery of the "Good Life".

Now the tricky part - the name?
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Los Angeles wrote:I LIKE WHAT I'M HEARING.

Now, let's go the distance and expand it *just* a tad: I'm talking Lifestyle. Food, Travel, Literature, Beer and Libations, Fine Objects (from computers to pepper mills and everything in between), Dating, Sex, Music, Cars. The Theme is: the finer things in life. It is neither restrictive or infinite, the emphasis is on sharing and camaraderie - but the purpose is now oddly focused. The mission is to encourage great, positive, fulfilling and joyful living.

I would love a site that attends to these topics with the civility that PD was known for. (They are my favorite topics after all).

I'm thinking a name for a site like that would be akin to the top men's magazines: Playboy, Penthouse, Details, FHM, Stuff, The Good Life.

The look? I'm thinking burled wood, leather and stainless steel. The encouragement to join? Good topics, good people and discovery of the "Good Life".

I like that! It's focused; but not so focused that it would take away from the camaraderie we have going here. And it still allows for a variety of topics to be discussed under that larger umbrella of pursuing the good life.

More importantly, living the good life doesn't come in the form of consumer goods (as you would likely see on forums like askmen.com); or with some extreme religious bend. Instead, it is embedded in the experience. Let's just name it after some great existentialist thinker, shall we? Very Happy

Really though, I like this line of thinking (I don't know what everyone else thinks - please share!).
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:42 pm

With my Heidegger bias, I suggest the forum be named: Dasein.

Anyone? bounce
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by plug_tits Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:40 pm

can we call the forum saggy tits and discuss all the things that floppy tits can be used for. we can talk about whether we like the name "bro" or "manzeer" and other things of the like.
plug_tits
plug_tits

Back to top Go down

Post by The Toxic Avenger Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:33 pm

Maybe someday. I'm decent at webdesign but I'm out of practice. We'll see.
The Toxic Avenger
The Toxic Avenger

Back to top Go down

Post by N8R Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:29 am

I like the lifestyle idea. We should call it The Finer Things Club.
N8R
N8R
Kimmy Gibbler

https://madisonsquare.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Nash Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:55 am

Los Angeles wrote:I LIKE WHAT I'M HEARING.

PLUS 1
Pig Nash
Pig Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:35 pm

So we should get this baby started, shouldn't we?

A couple questions I have . . .

1) Who wants to lead this charge? Yeah, I started this place...but only because I needed somewhere to talk to everyone! Shouldn't we have someone who is relatively tech-savvy and/or creative/visionary do the official switch? LA? Trader? TA? I dunno.

2) Where are we going to do this site? Yeah, we can do it through this free forum software - but be forewarned that cool things such as the "skin" can't be altered too much (basically for skins, they let you surf hitskin.com and pick a skin...there's about 60 to choose from). Furthermore, would we just work from what we have here, and change Madison Square over to "TBD new place name" (which I can do) - or, would we instead just start another new place from scratch using this same forum software? If people have alternatives besides the free hosting here, I'd love to hear them.

3) So, are we calling the place Dasein then? Very Happy
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Trader Joe Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:50 pm

I think it needs to be a more generic name sweabs
Trader Joe
Trader Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:58 pm

I was only kidding!

(okay, half-kidding pirat )
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by btowncolt Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Bewbs
btowncolt
btowncolt

Back to top Go down

Post by Los Angeles Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:52 pm

I've been thinking about this a lot over the last 48 hours. I really really think that we're on to something.

I'm willing to donate both hosting and design work and promise to participate. The bummer is that I'm going to be insanely busy over the next 2 weeks, with maybe 30 minutes to dedicate to this a day until my open house next weekend.

I've also been considering names. I really like how "the good life" and "the finer things" feel both positive and familiar but both seem a little too generic and overused. They also aren't particularly masculine.

So I started going through synonyms for "good" that might be used by men. And that's when I thought of this: