Madison Square
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comfort Foods

+9
Doddage
sig
plug_tits
GO!!!!!
The Toxic Avenger
Trader Joe
Ms. Piggy
btowncolt
balloon
13 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Comfort Foods - Page 2 Empty Re: Comfort Foods

Post by The Toxic Avenger Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:51 am

I will post in these sub forums as needed.

My comfort food is bacon.

Bacon and honey.

Not necessarily together.
The Toxic Avenger
The Toxic Avenger

Back to top Go down

Post by GO!!!!! Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:32 am

We need to make this place more appealing to the lady folk...

the results could be awesome... if you get my drift.... Wink

oO and comfort food

Doritios and Dip..

Pizza...

Marshmallows dipped in chocolate ( need to try this )

Chocolate Cookies... any type...

Best of all

Johnnie Walker & Coke.... and plenty of it...

I'm to happy to think of the last resort but I'm sure it's around...

GO!!!!!
GO!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by plug_tits Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:07 pm

I like Pies, Fried Chicken, Onion Rings, Root Beer Floats, and Fudge. I eat at Johnny Rocket's everyday
plug_tits
plug_tits

Back to top Go down

Post by btowncolt Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:37 pm

I just had a 72 ounce slurpee, a container of fake cheese dip, and a large bag of chips.
btowncolt
btowncolt

Back to top Go down

Post by plug_tits Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:31 pm

NICE!
plug_tits
plug_tits

Back to top Go down

Post by plug_tits Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:59 pm

i also enjoy 40 ounce bottles of maximum ice / black ice and pabst blue ribbon
plug_tits
plug_tits

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:02 pm

btowncolt wrote:I just had a 72 ounce slurpee, a container of fake cheese dip, and a large bag of chips.
I don't believe you.
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by btowncolt Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Around 10am tomorrow, I'll have all the evidence you need.
btowncolt
btowncolt

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:14 pm

It takes you that long?
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by btowncolt Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:56 pm

Well, I'm a vegetarian. I do that about 19 times per hour.
btowncolt
btowncolt

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Over the last year of my life, I have contemplated very seriously about making a commitment to vegetarianism. The arguments in favor of doing so are sound, and as things stand - it would not be much of a change from my current diet.

I actually just finished listening to a podcast by a philosopher who studies the topic of vegetarianism, and I'm almost thinking of making the formal switch in the near future.
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by btowncolt Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:52 pm

It's not so bad. The only part I don't like is going out to eat - everything delicious comes from a dead animal on most menus.
btowncolt
btowncolt

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:00 pm

...and having family constantly belittle, mock, or trivialize your decision. It is something I've brought up for many years now, and have always been met with the same reaction from family. Such is the nature of living with very closed-minded people. Not that this would stop me or anything - it is just rather tiresome.
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by btowncolt Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:25 pm

My family has been making fun of me for so many years that this doesn't add much.

Zing?
btowncolt
btowncolt

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Ah, I can relate.

As I said, my current diet consists of very little meat to begin with. I have also eliminated dairy from my diet altogether for the past 3 years and love it. I think I could make the switch in the near future...

Are there good meals that are relatively quick/easy to make? I'm not the greatest cook - but I like quick/easy (the same goes for my taste in women...ladies???)
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by GO!!!!! Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Nice posts guys, I'd be keen to listen to that podcast if a link is handy ol Sweabs...

I have found people so get over it.. it's more a reason to try and be smart ass in front of everyone and once people realise your not playing along I have found most let it go... it's funny tho, it's still seen as a backwards decision...

does Diary include Chocolate and Butter Sweabs ? I'm supposed to cut out my dairy but eating choc chip bickies while studing is just such a luxery... and well I neeeeeed it....

I have found the best and easiest way to make a quick meal is my own mix n match stir fry....cook some rice or pasta, slap some vege's in the work with some oil and work ya magic... love it.. keeps the flavor and don't lose to much of the good vitimans and nutrients...

what's behind you decision Btown and Sweabs, is it moral ? is it don't believe it's needed ? is it for health reasons... that's the cool part of the all the vego's they all have different reasons and that's remarkable I think...

GO!!!!!
GO!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:52 pm

My reasoning is strictly moral, I believe. I can actually remember expressing my desire to become a vegetarian to my parents at a fairly young age - stating a very childlike, yet moral opposition, to the consumption of meat. I was dissuaded and ridiculed - but it is something that has stayed with me all this time.

GO!!!!!, the dairy is just plain old gone. I use candy as my go-to food for studying/writing and it seems to work. But if I switch to vegetarianism, I must ask whether my candy habits will require a deeper analysis? I know there is an ingredient like gelatin or gelatine that comes from pigs and is commonly used in candy, I think...Any clarification, btown?

Also, I could be quite content eating veggie stir frys till the cows come home. In fact, I've done it for weeks at a time. Try some different rice; different noodles; different sauces - constantly mix and match the veggies - there is plenty to do to keep things spicy (pun intended!)

GO!!!!! - if you are interested in listening to the podcast, here is the link: http://philosophybites.com/2010/06/jeff-mcmahan-on-vegetarianism.html

Also, I have been listening to the podcast "philosophy bites" for almost a year now - and I'd highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in philosophy.
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by GO!!!!! Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Nice, Nice, moral is good and important, you can never be wrong then as long as you believe it...

It a shame about the ridicule, happens way too much and never good or easy...

Dairy, plain gone, I like it.. Better man then me...I have too but I'm just struggling, I might look at my eating patterns this weekend and re-assess....

I love me some study candy, but me folks are always talking about Diabetes... now anytime I go home I get a packet of almonds to eat during my study time... nuts are good and I need to work on more fresh fruit... which reminds me, I'm buying a Pineapple tomorrow and going to eat that this weekend...

funny when you talk about Gelatin and stuff, I really should check that.... I have a friend who has always been a vege but yet he eats cheese that contains animal rennet... Ironic...

downloaded the podcast, I'll give it a listen today, thanks for that, good to hear a solid view that is recommended...

I take it Jeff talks about all things Philosophy related?
GO!!!!!
GO!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Toxic Avenger Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:05 am

Yeah, about anything that contains "Gelatin" in the ingredient list is an animal product. I can't speak to actual jello but the other stuff does. You should also look out for Mono and Diglycerides (Glycerin). There is a long list of things like that if you are a TRULY into cutting animal products but I'm afraid it spreads over too many things for me to ever stop. I try but it'd be too hard to quit animals all together.

Link to some Vegan website

I have a ton of awesome recipes if anyone is interested.

Has anyone here heard of seitan?
The Toxic Avenger
The Toxic Avenger

Back to top Go down

Post by GO!!!!! Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:15 am

Thanks for the Info TA...

I'd like to know some of these recipes, especially the ones with a lil kick.. like spices. mexican, spanish.. all the good w3arm stuff..

Listened to that podcast, wasn't to bad, had some good thoughts, did lack a little kick tho...
GO!!!!!
GO!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by btowncolt Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:20 am

I can't do vegan. I love egg and cheese. I don't really support animals being chopped up (I have things that are leather, but faux leather just doesn't say "Leather Daddy" the way I like), but go ahead and squeeze some nip to give me delicious dairy products.

I can get back to you with some things I enjoy making after the Bar next week. In the meantime, I must continue memorizing every law the great state of New York has seen fit to pass since FOREVER.
btowncolt
btowncolt

Back to top Go down

Post by plug_tits Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:25 am

WHERES THE BEEF BABY!!!! NO BEEF MEANS NO MCDONALADS , WENDYS, BURGER KING, TACO BELL. GIVE ME A HOT BEEF INJECTION WEEEEEEEHOOW
plug_tits
plug_tits

Back to top Go down

Post by The Toxic Avenger Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:27 am

Is that you LARRY?!
The Toxic Avenger
The Toxic Avenger

Back to top Go down

Post by The Toxic Avenger Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:23 am

A lot of vegan recipes depend on the meat substitutes seitan (meatloaf substance made from wheat gluten) or tempeh (soybean steak).

To make seitan mix equal parts Vital Wheat Gluten with Water(or flavored broth) until it forms a sticky, albeit filling, dough then boil in a tasty broth until it doubles in size. About 45 Min. Remove from broth... drain excess liquid. This is now "raw meat".

I prefer seitan over tempeh since it is so versatile. It doesn't sound like much but for a vegan, or vegetarian, it is an awesome lifesaver. Trust me. The above recipe is like its foundation. You can add spices as needed to add a little kick. Just make sure to keep the dry with the dry and the wet with the wet. SO, add chili power, red pepper flakes, cumin and garlic powder (all "Dry") in with the wheat gluten (dry) PRIOR to adding equal part water and the "meat" becomes a spicy and tasty Southwest burger or Sante Fe chicken breast or whatever your imagination can think of.

You can also add ground ginger to the wheat gluten and soy sauce/teriyaki sauce to the water. Just remember that if you add too much "extra" stuff it could throw off the 1:1 ratio of wet to dry. Meaning that if you add too much soy sauce your dough will be too wet. The beauty of seitan is that even after it is infused with ginger and soy sauce you generally cook it again so you can add even more flavor. With this Asian seitan I would make a sweet teriyaki glaze with the leftover teriyaki sauce, fresh orange juice (maybe a little extra sugar or syrup for me), red pepper flakes and garlic... boil until it condenses into a glaze. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds and top with chopped green onions. Mmmmm... basically the above paragraph is my version of Sweet and Spicy Asian Teriyaki Wings.

I'm a very improvisational chef so sorry if you guys need measurements. I could do that but it seems limiting. Anyway.

SO, depending on what you will use the seitan for, you'll want to change the shape of the dough before you boil it. So if you're looking to make burgers make a patty. If you are looking to make 10 burgers make your dough into a thick Log that you can slice into parts like a tube of cookie dough.

Steaks would come from a huge pile of dough, nuggets would be smaller, meatballs need to be rolled etc... all this prior to boiling.

When my lady friend went full vegan, seitan saved my life! I made pasta with "Swedish meatballs", Boneless Chicken wings, all sorts of burgers, pulled pork bbq sandwiches, chicken breasts... Basically any meat you could think of but I haven't gotten bacon right. No
The Toxic Avenger
The Toxic Avenger

Back to top Go down

Post by GO!!!!! Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:56 am

you the man TA, tell me more, tell us more...

GO!!!!!
GO!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum