Madison Square
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

depression

+7
Trader Joe
vapacersfan
Ms. Piggy
The Toxic Avenger
bellisimo
balloon
sig
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

depression - Page 2 Empty Re: depression

Post by cdash Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:17 pm

I have been depressed before, and I was on a slew of meds that all had different, awful side effects. Wellbutrin was an especially awful experience. It made me physically ill (I was 21...5'10 118 pounds) to the point where I couldn't hold down food, and it made me completely incapable of sleeping. I spent four days trying to sleep and nearly lost all grasp on reality. My two+ years of being (morbidly) depressed completely reshaped how I think and live my life. I refuse to ever let it happen again, although deep down I know I don't really have that much control over it.

I actually starting posting on message boards because I was depressed. It was a good outlet. I didn't want to talk about it with my friends or family (I was masterful at putting up a front and shutting people out, which in hindsight was dumb. Friends and family are there for exactly these reasons, yet I digress.) and the people on Pacers forums (I was at RealGM then) and random other forums I would join were helpful. Talking about things that had nothing to do with me personally or my life were very therapeutic to me.

I don't really have anything constructive to say to you, or any good advice, but I promise you life does get better. It may take some time, but things turn around.
cdash
cdash

Back to top Go down

Post by Doddage Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:00 am

For those of you that have been depressed, was it the result of life circumstances? Or a change in thought patterns? Something else?

I'm not asking for specifics, I just want to know more about what causes the condition from people who have experienced it.

Doddage

Back to top Go down

Post by cdash Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am

Doddage wrote:For those of you that have been depressed, was it the result of life circumstances? Or a change in thought patterns? Something else?

I'm not asking for specifics, I just want to know more about the nature of the condition.

It runs in my family, so I guess I was always going to be more prone to it. What triggered it originally for me was life circumstances. I guess I was never really faced with any sort of real adversity until I was 20 or 21, and I didn't really know how to handle everything changing. When they didn't go my way, I got down on myself and it snowballed from there.
cdash
cdash

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Piggy Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:41 am

My mom has been diagnosed with it, but mine really showed up when I was incredibly stressed. Hard classes, graduating, moving away from friends and family, starting a new job, being away from family and friends and not knowing anyone where I moved to, moving in with Nash, wedding planning. It was a lot to happen in one year and I think that's what triggered it. Then Nash got busy at work and I didn't have many friends in Ft. Wayne, so I spent a lot of time alone at home...that didn't help things at all.
Ms. Piggy
Ms. Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Toxic Avenger Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:54 am

I can only guess at mine... rough stressful time in my family + Puberty + lost faith in God = depression. But I don't know what brought me out of it or what really got me so down to begin with. Like, what was the straw that broke the camel's back?
The Toxic Avenger
The Toxic Avenger

Back to top Go down

Post by N8R Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:03 pm

It is always good to know you are not alone with thoughts like what I have experienced. First off my mom has been diagnosed with Clinical Depression and she hasn't been able to really work for I would say 12 years or more because of it. I live with my dad (have been since I was 4 or 5 whenever they split) but when I would go to my moms at times, she was just not the same person, I always felt like a parent taking care of her or having to just be a different person and she has tried every drug out there for depression and she has managed to find a combo that works but she always does and then a year or two goes by and they stop working so she has to go cold turkey, and then into the hospital and then try a new combo.

It was hard seeing her like that as a kid, you see your parents as the strongest people ever and when they appear to be so weak things sort of flip on their heads.

I have had thoughts and times of depression since I don't even know when. Every once in a while I just get in a funk where I hate everything and just want everything to change, which happens more often than not. I think that is partially what makes me so impulsive (moving to Alberta, moving back to Ontario, going to New Zealand and Australia). I know when things are getting bad and I know that I just need to change something right away or it could get bad.

I have had thoughts of suicide before but never really came close to attempting anything, but I have felt the thoughts of if I die than oh well. I have that feeling all the time basically. That is partially what makes me not afraid to skydive, bungy Jump or any of the other activities I have tried.

For me most spells of depression start when I haven't seen any of my friends for a long time. During the week I work all but 3 hours of the day (the other 21 is sleep/commute/work) so right now I have no time to just relax and be me or see anyone and that starts to get to me. But last weekend I saw people, this weekend me and Sweabs are hanging so that will kick some serious ass.

I guess my best advice is always try to change, better yourself and just force yourself out of your comfort zone. Making new friends for me is really hard to and I only really met friends through traveling and school. I can't be friends with co-workers because they remind me of work and I hate work. But once I get my finances under control I will start taking some classes at the local college to better myself, start doing sports activities to meet others and just get out of my stupid house.

And as I have said before too, if any of the Madison Square (soon to be IFP) peoples are in the Great White North I am down for some massive hang out sessions. I have told my friends here that I do truly wish that this community we have online was in person than I would be all good for seeing people, meeting people and having fun. You guys are all awesome!!!
N8R
N8R
Kimmy Gibbler

https://madisonsquare.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum