Madison Square
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly recommendation.

+12
plug_tits
vapacersfan
Trader Joe
balloon's Mom
The Toxic Avenger
balloon
cdash
Pig Nash
N8R
heywoode
sig
Los Angeles
16 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

A friendly recommendation. - Page 9 Empty Re: A friendly recommendation.

Post by balloon Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Los Angeles wrote:And by the way, can you explain again who the host is for this site? Do they have a pay service that allows us to rename this forum and make it unnecessary to use the "youneed.us" part of the name?

Would be great to have nothing but "InFullPursuit - dot - com" in the bar up there. It also makes us about 1000 times easier to find.

I like how this thing runs and I even like the skin. We would just need a little bit of topic reorganization and we're well on the way ...
LA, I'll email the admin account information to you so that you can just monkey around with whatever. Consider this board yours! There is some stuff in the admin panel that alludes to what you're saying above - I just don't have much of a clue.

Check your email. Let me know that you got it okay Smile

And again, I feel like this needs to be said - THANK YOU! I'm really excited for this.
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Nash Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:13 pm

People that have expressed some interest in helping run things:

LA, TJ, myself, cgg.

and N8R/balloon are running things now so they would want to keep on keepin on?
Pig Nash
Pig Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Pig Nash wrote:and N8R/balloon are running things now so they would want to keep on keepin on?
Not me, at least. I believe N8R has already expressed some interest.

If being a mod meant "you're allowed to critique administrative decisions", then I'd have some interest. But for one, I doubt there will be much need to critique administrative decisions in the first place, with what looks to be a solid group of people moving forth with a common goal / shared vision. Secondly, I'm betting that all members (mods or not) will be given the opportunity to voice a dissenting opinion in the public forum if there was ever a need to do so. If I'm mistaken in these assumptions, then yes - I'd probably like to be a mod. But I don't think (and hope that) I'm not deluded in this reasoning. Beyond this, I wouldn't have much to offer as a "mod", as I'm sure it requires people to be online with some consistency (and my schedule is typically sporadic).
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Nash Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:47 pm

I think there would definitely be a feedback forum where people would be allowed to speak freely.
Pig Nash
Pig Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Trader Joe Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I don't think that's anyone's goal here.
Trader Joe
Trader Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by vapacersfan Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm

I already posted how I found hosting for my site, so I will not address that.

Some forum software I have used:

Vbulletin - What PD uses. I like it, but it is a bit pricy

Invision Power Board - I have used it before, and it is ok. I did not like it as much as vbulletin, but that was just me (http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/)

PHPBB - I hated this, but it is free

UBB - never heard of it, but ran across it in a google search

vapacersfan

Back to top Go down

Post by N8R Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:57 pm

1) I like the vbullentin forum and any other forums I have been a part of used it, but this free forum is good, just seems that you can only do so much right now.

2) I think a personal blog could be an interesting part...but that being said this isn't really about the individual, it is about a community so I think any personal posts can just be a forum thread. The facebook twitter link would be helpful just to draw more people over.

3) Doesn't matter to me really. If a little money is needed to run the site than so be it, of course most people don't like being advertised to but even facebook advertises all over the place and half a billion people use that.

As far as admining I would LOVE to be an admin...for the sole purpose of being able to edit counting thread posts and that only. If that is too much power for a counter I am fine with just being a member as well and sending out the PM's but I would like admining, give it a try at least.

And my feelings of Appreciation and Thanks to LA and everyone else helping get this sorted out is very large. A THANK YOU!!!!
N8R
N8R
Kimmy Gibbler

https://madisonsquare.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Nash Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Ultimate power may be what N8R is after. Watch out guys. Razz
Pig Nash
Pig Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by heywoode Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:19 pm

I must say that I am VERY pleased with what I've read in the last seven pages of catchup I just played...Great work, everyone involved. I was gonna suggest The HeywoodeExperience.com as my choice, but...

All I really know is that I would like to be involved somehow. It'd be great if you guys set it all up and then just let me run it or something! As long as I can edit all posts, read all PM's, ban people, and delete threads, I'll be happy...
heywoode
heywoode

Back to top Go down

Post by Los Angeles Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:51 pm

I am in the middle of a work day, and I have about 3 seconds to write.

There should be an odd number of admins. Either 5 or 7. And more than 7 is too many. It's not as essential to me how that is organized so long as nobody acts like a lone gunman.

I can handle designing the look of the board so long as someone else handles all the database setup. I hate doing that stuff.

I have additional thoughts regarding how the board should be organized, but I'd like to hear more about software options before we go there.

Keep talking, guys! Smile
Los Angeles
Los Angeles

Back to top Go down

Post by btowncolt Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:32 pm

Good work all.
btowncolt
btowncolt

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Nash Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:42 pm

5 admins would be ideal I'd say.

As for structure of the board, I'd say the main board should be "Your Pursuit" and that should be what we talk about there, what you are doing in regards to your passions. And also general discussion.

Then other boards could be News/Sports, Art (movies, music, books, art, philosophy), Life/Travel, and Games.

Pig Nash
Pig Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Nash Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:43 pm

Or maybe just "The Pursuit"
Pig Nash
Pig Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:54 am

I don't want to post this in the counting thread, as it might get lost.

But here is the thing about this software that we're currently using (phpBB3). Right now, it's technically not the "full" version, I believe - because it's being hosted as part of this free forumotion stuff. I could be wrong, but I don't think I have all of the capabilities that phpBB3 offers as an admin.

I certainly can't mod or tweak stuff - in fact, I'm restricted to one site for skins. However, if you went out and did phpBB3 in full, on its own, and away from forumotion, I'm pretty sure it would open things up.

We were discussing how the counting thread would lock up and split with that max limit. Well, if you look HERE you will see that there are mods to stop that sort of thing from happening. It's just that I don't think you could really do that under the forumotion stuff as its currently set-up.

Here is a link to a bunch of different forum software: http://www.forum-software.org/

That said, perhaps phpBB3 isn't so bad if it is forumotion that is to blame for its liabilities?
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:57 am

When I try out the "live demonstrations" for each one, I think phpBB3 runs as one of the fastest . . .

I am a sucker for speed, but I also believe that phpBB3 looks real clean as well, but still provides you with the option to customize/tweak/mod.
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:14 am

Sorry to bump again, but there is also a really cool feature on that website which allows you to compare. Here is a comparison between phpBB3 and the new vbulletin v.4, for example:

http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comparator/phpbb3-vs-vbulletin4
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Nash Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:30 am

Yeah I read a Reelviews forum (mostly about movies) and it runs on phbb. Here's a link to it:

http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/index.php
Pig Nash
Pig Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Nash Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:32 am

And they have a 243 page thread about the last movie you watched, so obviously it's possible with phbb.
Pig Nash
Pig Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:37 am

Pig Nash wrote:And they have a 243 page thread about the last movie you watched, so obviously it's possible with phbb.
Yeah! I saw that too!

Like I said, while we are running phpBB here, it's important to remember that it's not the "real thing" since it's hooked up to forumotion. If we had phpBB on its own, the customizations would be through the roof, and there are tons of mods/tweaks out there to fix silly things like the automatic locking.

To be honest, I've never used forum software that was as quick and clean as this stuff right here. It would be my choice, but there certainly seems to be some other nice options out there as well.
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by bellisimo Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:55 am

I actually have a website where I can install/run phpbb forum....let me get that organized today and you guys can give it a test run and check out the features and whatnot to compare...

bellisimo

Back to top Go down

Post by balloon Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:57 am

bellisimo wrote:I actually have a website where I can install/run phpbb forum....let me get that organized today and you guys can give it a test run and check out the features and whatnot to compare...
Considering this forum is running phpBB3, it probably won't look much different from the outside. However, a glimpse into the admin control panel would be helpful if that is possible?
balloon
balloon
Kimmy Gibbler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Nash Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:11 am

Another forum I lurk on:

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/

It's run on SMF, which is free, although I don't know much about it. It does look pretty nice, (at least on that forum.)
Pig Nash
Pig Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by bellisimo Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:56 am

yea I also just spotted that I have SMF as well...which I will create as well...
i'll create some sort of admin accounts so you guys can have a look at it.

I don't run any forums on my website so there wont be any content anyway.

bellisimo

Back to top Go down

Post by bellisimo Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:16 am

ok I've created the test forums and have informed balloon about it...he'll give it a go through the admin pages and see if anything is different...and which is better...

bellisimo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Nash Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:53 am

that site balloon linked to is really nice, you can do live demos of different boards/look at the admin panels etc. Pretty cool.

here's the one for SMF: http://www.forum-software.org/demo/simple-machines
Pig Nash
Pig Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum